...

Three Suspects in Custody After Random Austin Shooting Spree Leaves Four Injured

Three teenagers are in custody after a series of apparently random shootings across Austin left four people injured and triggered shelter-in-place orders in South Austin and nearby Manor, authorities said.

The shootings happened from Saturday into Sunday, with officials reporting at least 10 shootings, while some local reporting cited 12 total incidents.

The attacks were concentrated mainly in South Austin and involved gunfire directed at homes, apartment buildings, fire stations, and people in public areas, according to police and local officials.

Suspects Arrested After Vehicle Stop and Manor Search

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by cbsaustin (@cbsaustin)

Police first detained two teenage boys, ages 15 and 17, after a traffic stop Sunday afternoon involving a stolen vehicle.

Authorities said the pair attempted to run from the vehicle before being arrested and taken to juvenile detention.

A third person fled from the same vehicle, prompting a search in the Manor area northeast of Austin. After several hours, police said the third suspect was detained by Manor police, bringing all three suspects into custody.

Investigators said the suspects allegedly used stolen vehicles during the shooting spree and stole at least four cars while moving around the city.

Police also said stolen firearms were involved. According to AP reporting, the firearm used in the shootings had earlier been stolen by the 15-year-old suspect, while the 17-year-old was wanted in connection with a separate firearm theft.

Authorities identified several suspect vehicles connected to the incidents, including a black or blue Hyundai, a gold Hyundai, a silver Mazda and a white Kia Optima. Officials said the suspects appeared to change vehicles during the spree.

Shootings Targeted Homes, Fire Stations and People Outside

Police said the gunfire struck several types of locations, including apartment buildings, houses, and fire stations.

Two Austin Fire Department stations were hit in separate incidents: one late Saturday and another Sunday morning.

Axios, citing Chief Davis, reported that police received about 20 calls connected to the suspects over a roughly 24-hour period.

The reported targets included apartment buildings, homes, people standing near stores, and a man walking his dog. ABC News also reported that one man walking his dog was shot in the back during one of the incidents.

The violence led officials to issue a shelter-in-place order for a large section of South Austin on Sunday afternoon as officers searched for suspects.

The affected area was roughly bounded by Ben White Boulevard, Slaughter Lane, McKinney Falls Parkway and Escarpment Boulevard.

That order was later lifted after arrests were made. A separate alert remained in effect in the Manor area during the search for the third suspect.

While no deaths were reported in the Austin shooting spree, the case unfolded in a state where gun-related deaths remain a major public-safety concern. Statistics are grim, since 4,400 people died from gun-related injuries in Texas in 2024, a rate of 13.9 deaths per 100,000 residents.

Police said there was no ongoing public threat after the third suspect was detained, but officials urged residents to stay alert, call 911 about suspicious activity, and avoid leaving cars unlocked or keys inside vehicles.

latest posts