Matt Calkins, a longtime sports columnist for The Seattle Times, has left the newspaper after 11 years, saying editors declined to publish a column about two Washington student-athletes who opposed transgender participation in girls’ and women’s sports.
Calkins publicly announced his resignation on August 20, 2026, describing the rejected column as the final break in a longer dispute over pieces he said had been withheld from publication. He detailed the circumstances in his resignation announcement.
The resignation has become a broader media story because it centers on the editorial latitude given to opinion columnists when they address politically charged subjects. The Seattle Times had not publicly provided a detailed account of its editorial decision in the reporting reviewed as of August 21.
Fox News Digital and KIRO Newsradio reported unsuccessful efforts to obtain comment, while the New York Post reported that the newspaper declined to comment. Fox News reported on the newspaper’s lack of a detailed public response.
Table of Contents
ToggleWhat Led to Matt Calkins’ Resignation
Calkins said the unpublished column grew out of a July 28 Seattle Storm game against the Indiana Fever at Climate Pledge Arena. Before the game, he attended a rally supporting Fever guard Sophie Cunningham and interviewed 16-year-old Ahnaleigh Wilson and Tumwater High School basketball player Frances Staudt, two athletes who have objected to competing against transgender athletes in girls’ sports.
According to Calkins’ August 20 account, the proposed column argued that people who support sex-separated athletic competition should not automatically be characterized as hostile to transgender people.
He said he sent a draft to his editor on Friday, July 31. Calkins wrote that the piece moved through several editors over the following days before he was told it would not be published because he had failed to give sufficient advance notice about the topic.
Calkins said he rejected that explanation and resigned immediately. He also said the newspaper had previously declined to run three other columns, including pieces about the U.S. women’s national soccer team’s equal-pay dispute, cancel culture in sports and public attitudes toward police after George Floyd’s death.
Those earlier editorial decisions have been described publicly by Calkins; The Seattle Times has not independently detailed its reasoning for them.
Latest Verified Update
As of Friday morning, August 21, Calkins had not announced a new full-time employer. He said his immediate plan was to continue publishing independently on Substack while considering his next career move.
Reaction has crossed ideological lines. Journalist Jemele Hill, who said she strongly disagreed with the views expressed in Calkins’ rejected columns, argued that the newspaper should have published them if they were factually sound and met journalistic standards.
Hill’s response highlighted a separate question raised by the episode: how far a columnist’s mandate to express opinion extends when newsroom leadership has editorial concerns.
The WNBA Incident Behind the Column
The July 28 Storm-Fever game had already generated national attention. Wilson was among two teenage fans who displayed signs supporting Cunningham. Seattle Storm minority co-owner Celeste Keaton was subsequently accused of confronting the fans and using profanity. Reuters reported on the confrontation and the Storm’s response.
The Storm apologized for the exchange. On July 30, the WNBA confirmed that Keaton had been fined an undisclosed amount and suspended from attending the team’s next five home games.
The league did not publicly specify the reason for the discipline, although reports connected the action to the confrontation with the fans. The league discipline was reported by Reuters.
The incident supplied the immediate news context for Calkins’ proposed column and helped turn an internal newspaper decision into a public dispute about sports policy, transgender participation and editorial judgment.
Calkins’ Record at The Seattle Times
Calkins joined The Seattle Times in August 2015 after working for the San Diego Union-Tribune. His columns covered the Seattle Seahawks, Mariners, Storm and major national sporting events.
The newspaper also highlighted his recognition in Associated Press Sports Editors competitions, including honors for column writing. His work appeared regularly in The Seattle Times sports section.
His departure removes a veteran opinion voice from one of the Pacific Northwest’s major newsrooms at a time when questions about audience trust and the boundaries of opinion journalism remain prominent across the media industry.
What Happens Next
Calkins has left his next career move open and said he plans to keep writing independently. No permanent new role had been announced in the reporting reviewed by Friday morning.
For now, Calkins says repeated editorial rejections made the columnist role unworkable for him, while the newspaper has offered no detailed public response. A fuller assessment will depend on whether The Seattle Times explains its decision-making or releases additional information about the rejected piece.
Related Posts:
- Social Issues in America: 45 Real Examples, 2026…
- How Many Transgender Athletes Are There - Numbers for 2026
- The 100 Most Dangerous Cities in America (2026):…
- 25 Most Dangerous Cities in US - Updated Statistics for 2026
- Safest Cities in California in 2026: An Honest,…
- America’s Murder Capitals - Updated 2026 Rankings of…





