...

Trump Administration Takes Unprecedented Legal Aim at Raúl Castro Over 30-Year-Old Killings

The United States has indicted former Cuban President Raúl Castro on murder charges, a dramatic escalation in the Trump administration’s campaign to force regime change in Havana.

The 94-year-old Castro, who led Cuba from 2008 to 2018, is accused of ordering the 1996 shootdown of two civilian aircraft operated by the Cuban-exile group Brothers to the Rescue. Four U.S. nationals were killed, three of them American citizens.

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced the indictment Wednesday in Miami, standing before a room of Cuban-American leaders.

“If you kill Americans, we will pursue you no matter who you are, no matter what title you hold, and no matter how much time has passed.”

The charges – conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals, destruction of aircraft, and four counts of murder – carry a potential life sentence.

Castro’s Cuba Fires Back

In Havana, President Miguel Diaz-Canel condemned the indictment as a “political maneuver, devoid of any legal foundation.”Cuban state television called it a “despicable and infamous act of political provocation.”

Castro, who appeared publicly in Cuba earlier this month, has not left the island. There is no indication he will be extradited to face a U.S. court.

The move is rare: the U.S. seldom files criminal charges against foreign heads of state. It follows the January arrest of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro on drug-trafficking charges in New York. Maduro, a close Cuban ally, pleaded not guilty.

A 30-Year Investigation Unsealed

Prosecutors first drafted an indictment against Castro in the 1990s, but the case languished until now. Federal investigators say a Cuban spy ring embedded in a U.S. military facility provided intelligence that helped plan the Feb. 24, 1996, attack.

The indictment also charges five Cuban fighter pilots accused of executing the shootdown.

In Miami, families of the victims attended Blanche’s announcement. “The United States government has not forgotten these innocent men who were shot out of the sky,” Blanche said.

What Comes Next

Trump has not said how the U.S. would arrest Castro, who remains protected by Cuban state security. Blanche sidestepped a question about possible military action, saying only that Castro would appear in court “by his own will or by another way.”

Meanwhile, the Pentagon announced the arrival of the Nimitz Carrier Strike Group in the Caribbean, signaling heightened U.S. naval presence near Cuban waters.

Trump also hinted at an upcoming announcement on the long-standing U.S. embargo against Cuba.

For a region already on edge, the indictment transforms a three-decade-old cold case into a live diplomatic confrontation – with no clear off-ramp in sight.

latest posts