Wrapping Up the #EveryoneWelcome Campaign and Moving the Mission ForwardBy Adam Polaski • November 10, 2017 • 11:47 am
Over the past six months Freedom for All Americans has been proud to lead the efforts of the #EveryoneWelcome campaign, focused on elevating the stories of transgender Americans and the voices of Americans who support comprehensive non-discrimination protections. Today we’re wrapping up the effort and continuing to surge forward in the fight for LGBTQ-inclusive non-discrimination protections. Thanks to all who participated in this important public education campaign.
#EveryoneWelcome is a public education campaign dedicated to building support for transgender-inclusive non-discrimination protections by sharing the stories of transgender Americans and the people who care about them.
Through our work with our partners at the Ally Coalition, Athlete Ally, Freedom for All Americans, GLAAD, the Transgender People of Color Coalition, the Trans [email protected] Coalition, and Trans United Fund, we have mobilized dozens of Americans to share their stories and express their strong support for equal treatment for transgender people.
In 2017 more than 100 people across the country have filmed videos as part of the campaign, including members of Congress, LGBT advocates, celebrities, and athletes. Here’s a list and links to the videos filmed for the campaign:
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family Star and Founder of Tie the Knot
- Rep. Elizabeth Esty, U.S. Congresswoman from Connecticut
- Jazz & Jeannette Jennings, Activists & TV Star
- Maura Healey, Attorney General of Massachusetts
- David France, Author and Academy Award-Nominated Director
- George Takei, Actor
- Rep. Mike Quigley, U.S. Congressman from Illinois
- Andrea Jenkins, Poet and Activist from Minnesota
- Rep. Bill Keating, U.S. Congressman from Massachusetts
- Rep. Joe Kennedy, U.S. Congressman from Massachusetts
- Rep. Ann McLane Kuster, U.S. Congresswoman from New Hampshire
- Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, U.S. Congresswoman from Florida
- Rep. Dina Titus, U.S. Congresswoman from Nevada
- Willy Wilkinson, Author and Cultural Competency Trainer
These videos have collectively been seen by more than 1 million Americans across the Internet.
Raising awareness about who transgender people are and the challenges they face through personal storytelling is an important tool in the fight against discrimination. We’re thrilled to have made our impact on this vital conversation through the #EveryoneWelcome campaign, and we’re excited to move forward through our work with the Transgender Freedom Project and other initiatives.